Friday, February 1, 2019

Last Plane to Heaven, Electric Messiah, The End, What Should Not Be Unearthed

Things that brought me delight in January, 2019:


Jay Lake, Last Plane to Heaven
A long time ago, I posted an rpg monster riffing off a chapter from a Jay Lake novel. He found it on my blog, somehow, and seemed tickled by it. (That bit made it into my Umberwell book.) And now, after he's passed, it was time to read his last collection of short fiction. The man had no shortage of ideas or powerful language with which to convey them.


High on Fire, Electric Messiah
I don't care if this one is too fast to qualify as "doom"; this trashes too hard to be denied by gormless categorizers.


Gallhammer, The End
Gallhammer is a recent discovery for me. There is something really special about their brand of crusty, blackened doom & drone. The first time I heard this album was one of those rare "this is making the hair on my arms stand up" moments.


Nile, What Should Not be Unearthed
"Age of Famine" has proven highly inspiring lately.


Kentaro Miura, Berserk vols. 25 and 26
More shocking than the story's turn toward a D&D-style party complete with magic weapons is Guts's turn toward dad of the group.


Behemoth, The Apostasy
I've been trying to locate exactly where Behemoth became a supreme example of blackened death, but The Apostasy feels too fully formed to be the turning point. Which is to say, it's magnificent.


Behemoth, Demigod
Okay, I think I found it.


Cannibal Corpse, Butchered at Birth
Cannibal Corpse was the only band of its ilk that seemed scary back in the day. Still do, actually.

Caitlin R. Kiernan, Black Helicopters
Unexpected nostalgia hit from all supernatural conspiracy elements. Hit up this podcast episode for more.


Seven Soldiers
I went in on this one here.