Monday, July 27, 2015

Titansgrave


I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about the watch-us-play-an-rpg series that Wil "King of the Geeks" Wheaton has been going on Youtube. What gives? Is it more fun to argue about why there isn't a history of the OSR and then argue about who is ideologically pure enough to write that history? Are people boycotting Wheaton because he isn't into GamerGate? Is Wheaton-mania sooooo 2012? Or is it just that recorded actual play is really, really hard to sit through? (My money is on that last one.)

Wheaton's Titansgrave is probably the best of this sort of thing that I've seen. The players are all personable, the game moves along at a good clip, and there are actual production values being leveraged here. I admit, I had it on in the background while I did other things, but usually I can't get through a minute of someone else's game. This might not be a bad video to show someone who wants to know what rpgs are like if they're on the fence about it. 

The Chapter Zero video is just Wheaton talking about how rpgs work and describing his homebrew campaign setting:



Chapter One is where the game gets going: