Sunday, September 4, 2016

Total Skull - August 2016

Things that brought me delight in August, 2016:

Music




Marissa Nadler, Strangers
(It's trite to call Marissa Nadler's unique style of drear-pop haunting, and yet, what else could it be?)



Myrkur, Mausoleum
(acoustic versions with a choir turn Myrkur's black metal into beautiful elegies)



Opeth, The Candlelight Years
(I avoided Opeth for a long time because the albums I had heard were very prog-rock and very noodling, but it turns out that their early stuff is well within my range of sonic interests.)

* * *

Books



Octavia Butler, Dawn
(I'm really not much of a science fiction reader, but this was pretty amazing. But the amazing part was the science fiction elements; the literary display of human nature is the real draw in Dawn.)

Film



Ginger Snaps
(Although horrific monstrosity as a metaphor for puberty is a pretty well-worn idea, I still think Ginger Snaps is one of the best examples of how the convention can be done well.)

* * *

Gaming



Tome of Beasts
(A great selection of monsters to fill in the gaps of 5e's Monster Manual. All the new fey and undead were especially welcome.)