Friday, September 30, 2016

Scholomance

I've got adventures involving spooky kids in a monstrous, Gorey-esque setting on the brain again. I blame it on the Miss Peregrine movie that just came out, reading David Mitchell's Slade House, watching the Harry Potter movies with my girlfriend, and getting my hands on Kim Newman's The Secrets of Drearcliffe Grange School

I've always wanted to do something with magical kids learning their spellcraft in a Gothic Hoggwarts, a sort of Harry Potter-but-Dumbledore-is-actually-Satan thing.

What better setting to do that in than the mythical Scholomance?

Here's the set-up I cobbled together while drinking my morning tea & brimstone:






Inspirations
Books: Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book and Coraline; Edward Gorey, everything; Kim Newman, The Secrets of Drearcliff Grange School; Ransom Riggs, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children; Lemony Snicket, A Series of Unfortunate Events series
Films: Dario Argento, Suspiria; Robert Eggers, The Witch; Andrew Fleming, The Craft
Comics: The Books of Magic, Ragemoor